Join friends, kids and neighbors for WBNA's Annual Neighborhood Spring Cleanup. For 34 years West Siders have come together to make a huge and visible impact on the cleanliness and safety of our neighborhood. This event is not only fun, it's gratifying!
NEW THIS YEAR: CLEANUP AND GREENUP
We understand that some neighbors may want to go beyond the cleanup to beautify their streets. This year we encourage those with spring fever of the gardening variety to add greening projects to their Spring Cleanup plan. These efforts could include planting bulbs, giving some love and attention to our city street trees, or adopting a little corner of our neighborhood to do some guerrilla gardening.
Did you know that street trees are part of a stewardship program between the City and Providence residents? That means the tree outside your house, whether you own or rent, is technically yours to care for. Weeding and mulching is a great way to give your tree a great start to its growing season.
KIDS ZONE AT DEXTER & ELLERY PARKS
Kids Zone at Dexter Training Ground is 10-11:30am and features an Earth Day Scavenger Hunt and Upcycled Bird Feeder Workshop. Kids Zone and Cleanup at Ellery Park is 2-4pm and includes Nature Printing with Clay, making Pine Cone Bird Feeders and Planting Perennials. Contact email@example.com for more information.
HOW IT WORKS
Start at the WBNA at 9am and enjoy free breakfast treats while rallying with neighbors and street captains (to become a street captain for your street, click here). Please wear work clothes, and bring gloves and tools (if you have them: rakes, square shovels, brooms).
Then you and your Street Team are off to hit those troubled areas in the neighborhood. Get that abandoned mattress off your street, attack that debris-strewn lot, or weed and clean some tree pits!
A long standing partnership with the City of Providence allows for trash pickups at designated locations as well as street sweeping on Cleanup Day.
PLEASE NOTE: E-waste dropoff is NOT available this year, unfortunately. For information on how to dispose of electronic waste, please visit Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation.
After all this work is done, come back to the WBNA and enjoy a FREE BBQ with your fellow cleanup volunteers.
- 9:00am / Meet @ WBNA, enjoy breakfast items, form teams with street captains and other volunteers
- 9:30am / Street Teams set off to designated cleanup areas
- 10-11:30am / KIDS ZONE at Dexter Training Ground (Parade Street side)
- 12:00pm / Meet back at the WBNA for a free BBQ for volunteers
- 2-4pm / KIDS ZONE at Major aka Ellery Park (Ellery & Wendell Streets)
- Check with your street captain for designated trash pickup locations
- Sweep sand, leaves and other debris into the street for street sweepers
- Street sweepers come the day after the cleanup on Sunday, April 23
- Residents of Messer and Sycamore Streets, please sweep debris from behind the planter boxes into the street
- Try to park off street for sweeping
- As tempting as it might be, do not put gravel, rocks, or sand into garbage bags, or otherwise overload garbage bags. It causes the bags to break and then our efforts are undone!
Questions? Please send a message to the NACW Committee which hosts this event.