Join us for our April Neighborhood Nights event at West Broadway Middle School!
Neighborhood Nights is a monthly gathering of neighbors that features a General Meeting in the first hour (6-7pm) followed by all WBNA Committees meeting in the second (7-8pm). Free food, child care and Spanish translation provided, plus open gym. Meet your neighbors, learn about WBNA and neighborhood initiatives, and get involved! Open to all.
6 to 7pm | Repairs & Improvements at Dexter Training Ground
During our April meeting, Providence Parks Department and WBNA's West Side Parks Committee will present a conceptual overview of potential repairs and improvements to Dexter Training Ground (aka Armory Park), and will invite neighbor input and feedback.
The City is allocating bond funds for park improvements this year with assistance and advocacy from Councilor Bryan Principe. The West Side Parks Committee and the Parks Department have been working together to identify needed repairs and areas where upgrades could be made. This meeting is an opportunity to get broader feedback from the community on preliminary park improvement ideas.
If you know neighbors, organizations and stakeholders that are frequent users of the park, please help us in reaching out to them, and invite them to this month's Neighborhood Nights meeting so they can give their suggestions and ideas.
We are excited to be collaborating once again with the Parks Department, and hope this year's round of improvements can be a first step towards the creation of a master plan for Dexter Training Ground with broad stakeholder involvement.
7 to 8pm | Participate in a WBNA Committee
After the Parks Department presentation, all WBNA Committees will break out and meet in designated classrooms. Neighbors are encouraged to stay and take part in a committee that interests you. Committees are the backbone of the work and fun that happen at the WBNA and are entirely neighbor-led. Explore, and help make our initiatives, programs, and advocacy happen!
What's happening in WBNA Committee meetings this month
- Armory Advocacy will discuss summer and fall Armory tours, the design of Armory promotional materials, and other forms of outreach in the works
- Community/Comunidad 1 plans for a May Neighborhood Nights presentation given by NeighborWorksRI
- Community Development Committee hosts a presentation about the impacts of a proposal by Manhattan developer Jason Fane for a 46-story tower in the I-195 corridor. Background here.
- Green Initiatives will discuss the next round of WBNA’s solar program, promoting free energy audits, and recent legislation to reduce plastic bag use in the city
- Neighborhood Action & Crime Watch Committee will discuss general concerns about safety and quality of life in the neighborhood, and continues to plan for the 35th Annual Spring Cleanup on April 28
- Programs & Events Committee welcomes neighbors to discuss and help plan the Neighborhood-Wide Yard Sale on May 19
- West Side Kids will finalize plans for the Spring Cleanup, and will brainstorm ideas for kids activities to take place during West Side Thursdays this July
- West Side Parks will continue the conversation from the evening's first hour about plans and advocacy for improvements to Dexter Training Ground (aka Armory Park)
6:00pm Call to order, welcome and ground rules – Matt Gabor, President
6:05pm Parks Department & West Side Parks Committee Presentation on Dexter Training Ground
6:20pm Question and answer period
6:50pm Committee agenda highlights & other announcements – Kari Lang, Executive Director
6:55pm Adjourn to ALL Committee Meetings
7:00pm Committee Meetings begin
8:00pm Evening concludes
Upcoming Neighborhood Nights 2018
Tuesday, May 1, 2018
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
NO MEETINGS IN JULY AND AUGUST
Tuesday, September 11, 2018 (2nd Tuesday of September)
Tuesday, October 2, 2018
Tuesday, November 13, 2018 (2nd Tuesday of November due to 11/6 Election Day)
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
Many thanks to Jimmy Lazer of Lazer's Laboratory for designing the image above.