Join us for our May Neighborhood Nights event at West Broadway Middle School! PLEASE NOTE: we will be meeting upstairs in the gym, directly above the cafeteria where we normally meet, to accommodate another event scheduled at the school. Entrance is on the same (left) side of building as other meetings.
Neighborhood Nights is a monthly gathering of neighbors that features a General Meeting in the first hour (6-7pm) followed by all WBNA Committees meeting in the second (7-8pm). Free food, child care and Spanish translation provided, plus open gym. Meet your neighbors, learn about WBNA and neighborhood initiatives, and get involved! Open to all.
6 to 7pm | HousingWorks RI presents "The High Cost of Inadequate Housing"
WBNA and the Community/Comunidad 1 Committee welcome Annette Bourne, Research & Policy Director of HousingWorks RI at Roger Williams University, who will give a presentation on the cost of housing in Rhode Island and how it impacts our community and economy.
Annette's presentation will provide context around the cost of housing in our community to help us understand the issue and its impact. Annette will also talk about approaches and outcomes in communities similar to ours, to provide context for how we may plan a course moving forward.
HousingWorks RI is a clearinghouse of information about housing in Rhode Island, and conducts research and analyzes data to inform public policy. HWRI also develops communications strategies and promotes dialogue about the relationship between housing and the state's economic future and our residents' well-being.
7 to 8pm | Participate in a WBNA Committee
After the HousingWorks RI presentation, all WBNA Committees will break out and meet in designated classrooms. Neighbors are encouraged to stay and take part in a committee that interests you. Committees are the backbone of the work and fun that happen at the WBNA and are entirely neighbor-led. Explore, and help make our initiatives, programs, and advocacy happen!
What's happening in WBNA Committee meetings this month
- Armory Advocacy will discuss the design of our lapel pin, coordinate summer tours, and review other potential initiatives as well as efforts in the works such as the Armory website
- Community/Comunidad 1 and Community Development Committee will meet jointly this month to continue discussion from the evening's first hour in an open forum about affordable housing with HousingWorks RI's Annette Bourne and a representative from Housing Network of RI
- Green Initiatives will talk with Councilwoman Jo-Ann Ryan and Director of Sustainability Leah Bamberger of SustainPVD about next steps for the plastic bag ban. The committee will also recap outreach at the Spring Cleanup, and discuss initiatives such as the next round of WBNA’s solar program, energy efficiency outreach, and rain barrel & composting workshops
- Neighborhood Action & Crime Watch Committee will feature Lt. Fernandes' monthly crime report, open container enforcement in Dexter Training Grounds, a debrief of the Spring Cleanup, and an open neighbor discussion about safety and quality of life in the neighborhood
- Programs & Events Committee welcomes neighbors to continue to plan the Neighborhood-Wide Yard Sale on May 19
- West Side Kids will continue planning kids activities for July's West Side Thursdays, debrief about the Spring Cleanup, and give some updates on what's going on at our local public schools
- West Side Parks will feature continued discussion on upcoming improvement projects at Dexter Training Ground including the toddler playground and historical signage project, a debrief on April's Tree Planting & Spring Cleanup, discussion about neighbor comments and concerns, and next steps
6:00pm Call to order, welcome and ground rules – Matt Gabor, President
6:05pm HousingWorks RI presents "The High Cost of Inadequate Housing" – Annette Bourne, HWRI Research & Policy Director
6:40pm Question and answer period
6:50pm Committee agenda highlights & other announcements – Kari Lang, Executive Director
6:55pm Adjourn to ALL Committee Meetings
7:00pm Committee Meetings begin
8:00pm Evening concludes
Upcoming Neighborhood Nights 2018
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
NO MEETINGS IN JULY AND AUGUST
Tuesday, September 11, 2018 (2nd Tuesday of September)
Tuesday, October 2, 2018
Tuesday, November 13, 2018 (2nd Tuesday of November due to 11/6 Election Day)
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
Many thanks to Jimmy Lazer of Lazer's Laboratory for designing the image above.