Join us for our June Neighborhood Nights at West Broadway Middle School featuring an important status update and presentation on the Cranston Street Armory, followed by a review of two neighborhood development projects: redevelopment of the former Parkview Nursing Home on Parade Street by The Armory Revival Company, and new construction on the empty lot at 1492 Westminster presented by architect Peter Case.
Neighborhood Nights is a monthly gathering of neighbors that features a General Meeting in the first hour followed by all WBNA Committees meeting in the second. Free food, child care and Spanish translation provided, plus open gym. Meet your neighbors, learn about WBNA and neighborhood initiatives, and get involved! Open to all.
6pm to 6:40pm | Cranston Street Armory Status Update
WBNA and the Armory Advocacy Committee welcome Carole Cornelison, Director of the Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance (DICAMM) for the State of Rhode Island, who will give a much anticipated presentation on the status of the Cranston Street Armory.
This will be the first public update on the Armory since before the 2017 RFP process and the first time neighbors will learn about construction progress on the building and the work of consultants that were hired a year ago to create a plan for the Armory's reuse.
WBNA has asked Ms. Cornelison and her team to address and include in their presentation as much of the following information as possible:
- Repairs and renovations to the Armory that are taking place on the exterior and the interior, specifically the Drill Hall and tower repairs
- Amount of funding that is allocated in the next fiscal year for repairs
- Update on the consultant hired from the state's 2017 RFP to create a re-use plan for the Armory and on this consultant's progress as outlined in the RFP
- Timeline of the consultant's process
- How and when the public will be involved in the re-use planning process
- Allowance for more public tours for the community during Spring, Summer and Fall of 2018
Neighbors will have the opportunity to ask questions and give feedback to Ms. Cornelison during a question and answer period that directly follows the presentation.
6:45pm to 8pm | Development Project Reviews + All Committee Meetings
After the Armory update and discussion, the General Meeting will conclude at 6:45pm, and WBNA Committees, all of which are open to the public, will adjourn to their meeting rooms in the building except for the Community Development Committee which will remain in the cafeteria.
The Community Development Committee (CDC) will hear about two development projects being proposed in the neighborhood: the former Parkview Nursing Home on Parade Street (seen above, c. 1916), and a new construction project at 1492 Westminster Street.
The redevelopment of the Parkview properties bordering Dexter Training Ground at 41 & 45 Parade Street, 19R Willow and 12 Oak, is being undertaken by The Armory Revival Company (TARC), which will present its early stage plans at this meeting. Neighbor discussion and a public Q&A follows TARC's presentation. Developers are also scheduled to present their plans at the Providence Historic District Commission (HDC) meeting on Monday, June 4, at 4:45pm (details here).
The second CDC project being reviewed is a new infill construction project at 1492 Westminster Street, designed and presented at this meeting by Peter Case of Truth Box Architects. Peter will present his plans of this project that he has described as "a zoning-compliant 7-unit building on three floors with retail on the first floor. We are also looking to make it the first passive house multi-family building in the city."
Neighbors, we encourage you to stay and take part in a committee that interests you! Committees are the backbone of the work and fun that happen at the WBNA and are entirely neighbor-led. Explore, and help make our initiatives, programs, and advocacy happen.
What's happening in WBNA Committee meetings this month
- Armory Advocacy will discuss Armory promotional materials as well as debrief about Carole Cornelison's presentation that took place during the General Meeting
- Community/Comunidad 1 will recap housing meetings & share about upcoming meetings, discuss door knocking campaign progress, and plan "Code Day" next steps
- Community Development Committee will host two development project reviews: the former Parkview Nursing Home (41 & 45 Parade) presented by The Armory Revival Company, and a new construction proposal for 1492 Westminster presented by Peter Case of Truth Box Architects. Neighbor discussion and Q&A follow each presentation
- Green Initiatives plans to discuss a business solar program, reusable bag campaign, and upcoming neighborhood outreach about energy efficiency and other initiatives
- Neighborhood Action & Crime Watch Committee will feature Lt. Fernandes' monthly crime report, and a brainstorming session to determine what types of information regarding crime prevention would be helpful to share regularly on various social media platforms
- Programs & Events Committee will not be meeting this month
- West Side Kids will debrief about Earth Day, discuss neighborhood kids events for the summer including activities for July's West Side Thursdays, and look at end of year events at schools
- West Side Parks will feature continued discussion on upcoming improvement projects at Dexter Training Ground including the toddler playground and historical signage project
6:00pm Welcome, ground rules & announcements – Matt Gabor, President
6:05pm Status Update on the Cranston Street Armory
- Introduction by Jenica Reed Conley, WBNA Armory Advocacy Chair
- Presentation by Carole Cornelison, Director, Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance for the State of Rhode Island
6:20pm Question and answer period with Carole & Neighbor Discussion
6:40pm Conclude General Meeting & Move to WBNA Committee meetings
6:45pm Welcome to CDC meeting, Introductions and Description of CDC Process – Rachel Robinson, WBNA CDC Chair
6:50pm Project Review: Former Parkview Nursing Home at 41 & 45 Parade, 19R Willow, 12 Oak, presented by Mark Van Noppen & Seth Zeren of The Armory Revival Company
7:05pm CDC Committee & Neighbor Discussion on Parkview project and Q&A with Presenters
7:25pm Project Review: New Construction at 1492 Westminster Street, presented by Peter Case of Truth Box Inc
7:40pm CDC Committee & Neighbor Discussion on 1492 Westminster and Q&A with Presenters
8:00pm Public meeting adjourns
Upcoming Neighborhood Nights 2018
NO MEETINGS IN JULY AND AUGUST
Tuesday, September 11, 2018 (2nd Tuesday of September)
Tuesday, October 2, 2018
Tuesday, November 13, 2018 (2nd Tuesday of November due to 11/6 Election Day)
Tuesday, December 4, 2018