Joy (second from left) and colleagues at West End Community Center sort new toys for children in WECC's programs
WBNA's first Live Local, Give Local neighborhood giving campaign was a huge success, thanks to the immense generosity of you, our neighbors and friends.
The community-fueled campaign supported three different charitable events that directly benefited local and west side neighbors: West Side Schools Food Drive (in its second year), Buy Nothing Day Coat Exchange, and West End Community Center's Holiday Toy Drive.
WBNA also held a Winter Warmer Pop-Up Party and Open House at our 1192 Westminster Street property which raised money for gift cards that WBNA gave directly to families at John Hope Settlement House.
NEIGHBORHOOD GIVING MATTERS – the numbers
West Side Schools Food Drive / Benefiting families at Carl Lauro and Asa Messer Elementary Schools, and West Broadway Middle School
- Over $1000 collected in grocery gift cards
- Hundreds of pounds of donated nonperishable food items
- Special thanks to neighborhood businesses who hosted food drive bins and promoted this effort: Hudson Street Deli, RI Museum of Science and Art, Schastea, Seven Stars Bakery, and Sin! Also thank you to WBNA board members who kicked off our drive by donating grocery gift cards.
Buy Nothing Day Coat Exchange / Benefiting local children and adults in need of warm winter gear
- Nearly 25 large trash bags collected that were full of used and new coats, hats, gloves and scarves
- Special thanks to Puroclean Rhode Island and neighbors Chris and Lauren Sanford for extending our coat drive efforts through their business!
West End Community Center's Holiday Toy Drive / Benefiting 75 children ages 1-1/2 to 13 years of age who attend WECC's educational programs
- Through the generosity of neighbors, WBNA collected 52 new toys that were delivered to WECC this past Monday, Dec 18. WECC extends its gratitude to all who participated in the drive and helped to make it a great success!
- Special thanks to Sarah and tenants at Rooms & Works who extended our toy drive efforts by organizing their own mini-drive at 55 Cromwell Street!
Winter Warmer Pop-Up Party / Benefiting families who attend programs at John Hope Settlement House
- $600 in gift cards purchased from funds raised at the benefit party and given directly to five families in need that attend child care programs at John Hope Settlement House
- Special thanks to WBNA board members who generously kicked off this initiative!