Luongo Square Enhancement
CONSTRUCTION is UNDERWAY!
In 2003, the WBNA applied for federal funds to create a public place at Luongo Memorial Square. After years of city and state planning work, construction is finally underway with a planned completion date of fall 2016.
- Improve circulation and traffic safety
Create a public place
Enhance the revitalization of the Square begun in 2003 with Providence Revolving Fund and Crescent Partners
- Plant trees and add green
- Respect square’s historic streetscape by using Belgian Block and “recreating” original horse trough fountain
PARTNERS: Newman’s Ltd (fountain), Councilman Bryan Principe, Providence Department of Planning and Development, Providence Department of Public Works, Providence Revolving Fund, RI Department of Transportation and neighbors
FUNDERS: $800,000 in Federal Transportation Enhancement Funds, $150,000 in Community Development Block Grant Funds (thanks Councilman Principe!), $75,000 from The Champlin Foundations
$ TO OUR NEIGHBORHOOD: $1,025,000
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
• Contribute to the WBNA fountain maintenance fund
• Attend Neighbor Day 2016 in the square this fall to enjoy this new public space